Friday

Fibromyalgia research findings from Mayo Clinic

Fibromyalgia research Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic Associate Professor, Terry H. Oh, M.D., talks about her fibromyalgia research findings in the Fibromyalgia Treatment Program, including symptom severity and quality of life, such as obesity, alcohol consumption and age, in patients with fibromyalgia.
With a database of more than 1,000 fibro patients, she shares some of the findings from the database in this video.



SOME OF THE TRANSCRIPT: Fibromyalgia is a symptom complex characterized by chronic widespread pain and a constellation of symptoms such as fatigue, poor sleep, and cognitive symptoms. It affects about 2% of the population and is more common in women. Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder, and the condition negatively affects the quality of life and can have a devastating effect on people's lives.
The Mayo Clinic has a comprehensive fibromyalgia treatment program, which was established in 1999.
Our dedicated team members include nurses, therapists, wellness coaches, nurse practitioners, and physicians...

Our program focuses on cognitive-behavioral therapies. We wanted to see how our patients do after undergoing the program. The majority of our patients reported improvement in their symptoms and quality of life after undergoing the program. However, we noted that some did not improve. Therefore, we analyzed the factors associated with treatment outcomes. Our study showed that those who had a greater benefit were younger, had more years of education, had higher baseline depression score on the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire,
a lower number of tender points, and did not have an abuse history.

We looked into factors associated with symptoms and quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
So we looked into BMI status, and we noticed that obesity was more common in our patients than the general population.
Close to 50% of our patients were obese, and furthermore, those obese, about half of them were severely obese. Then we examined the association between BMI and their symptom severity and quality of life.
Our study found that those obese had worse fibromyalgia symptoms and worse quality of life compared to those non-obese and overweight.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Kitty for helping to spread awareness about fibromyalgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information . I really liked the article since there were many information on start fibromyalgia treatment. My brother is fibromyalgia patient. So we are thinking that we might give him this treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitchell Williams2:41 AM

    My dear brothers and sisters, I am about to tell you how God through the help of an herbal doctor saved the life of my only brother. My only brother four years ago fell ill, and at first was diagnosed of high fever which resulted into him having critical health issues. Two years ago, he was diagnosed of FIBROMYALGIA he was having chronic muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points or trigger points, we tried so many medications but none worked for him. I search the internet for possible cure but none was found until i came across a note of testimony made by a man named James Watt on the internet where he claimed that a herbal doctor by name Doctor Uwadia Amenifo cured his cousin of a chronic disease that is worst than FIBROMYALGIA. So I tried to reach the testifier James Watt to ask if there could be any hope from this herbal man towards assisting my brother to finding cure to his ailment. So he emailed me after two days and gave me the contact details of the said doctor. So I emailed the doctor and explained to him what my only brother is going through. And he said no problem that my brother will be healthy again. At first I doubted him because he said it so easily, and at this stage I was so curious and I asked him what he meant by my brother will be healthy again. So then he told me that he have some powerful herbs that can cure FIBROMYALGIA. So he told me all I would do, and after all arrangement was made, he started sending herbs to my brother. Behold just two weeks after my brother started using his herbs he began to improve, and as I speak to you today my brother is healthy and free from FIBROMYALGIA. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:44 PM

    Nice post....Thank u for sharing this post. Fibromyalgia (FM or FMS) is characterised by chronic widespread pain and allodynia (a heightened and painful response to pressure).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input