Thursday

Behavioral therapy and fibromyalgia

Michael VanElzakker, a Tufts neuroscientist, says "that while behavioral therapies are not curative and may only apply to a subset of patients, they can help moderate symptoms and improve quality of life in some." This is the same man that has proposed a good theory for the cause of Fibromyalgia as explained here by Cort Johnson.

The above statement by Michael VanElzakker explains why some people who have Fibromyalgia do get improvement when trying certain therapies and why some people get no improvement in their symptoms. 

Behavioral therapies include many different techniques and therapies including: 

  • Anxiety Management Training
  • Behavior management 
  • Behavior modification
  • Cognitive Emotional Therapy
  • Dialectical Behavior Therapy 
  • Self talk Identification
  • Habit reversal training which includes relaxation training.


In some people with fibro these therapies have helped them reduce pain and improve their mood, amongst other things. The treatment programs usually focus on our thoughts, emotions and behaviors and how they all influence each other. These therapies are taught by psychotherapists, psychologists and other trained practitioners.

Have you tried any of these therapies?

Find out more about Cognitive behavioural Therapy in this calming and informative video by Jessica S.Campbell a psychotherapist.




RESOURCES: 
See more about VanElzakker theories about Fibro/CFS at Simmaron Research 
Cognitive behavioural therapies for fibromyalgia.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any of these therapies, but I'd love to. I'm making a note of them in my medical notebook so I can discuss with my doctor. Thanks for sharing!

    May I share this link at my Chronic Friday Linkup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:05 PM

    My comment is as follows...
    I am a 46 ur old man that just had to go into treatment to get off Opiates that I've been taking for years to treat my Lupus SLE pain. I've now been Dx'd with Fibromyalgia, now that I'm not numb anymore and can actually feel REAL pain again!! Yay. I want to say that Campbell is an exact copy of all the therapists at the PaRC! It's good to hear! I may have actually just found an outlet to some issues since coming out of the program. Thank you Jessica, if I may call you that, and hopefully I can find more vid or podcasts. I will start searching now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 AM

    Fibromyalgia is the HSV-1 virus (cold sore virus) attacking the central nervous system. The USA, FDA has just fast tracked Phase III clinical drug trials on a Fibromyalgia drug , IMC-1, that will suppress this virus. Where have all of you been? http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia#Trials

    ReplyDelete
  4. The treatment of fibromyalgia can be difficult. Recommendations often include getting enough sleep, exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet. Cognitive behavioral therapy may also be helpful. Need to consult with a doctor or find about fibromyalgia treatment

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input